Read to your child every day!

Friday, October 5, 2012

Delicious Gluten Free bread - we found it!!!!



After a few failed attempts to find a gluten free bread recipe that we like, I stumbled upon this amazing Millet and Quinoa bread.  When my hubby first tried it he asked me if I was sure it was gluten free.  :)  It is moist and airy and the closest thing we have had to "real bread" since the kiddos were diagnosed.  I found it here http://glutenfreemommy.com/baking-gluten-free-bread-millet-oatmeal-bread/.  Then I followed a link on her blog to another blogger who altered a few items on the recipe as her pantry didn't not have everything it called for (neither does mine ;) )...so here is her version http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/gf-millet-quinoa-bread/

I am not changing the recipe at all other than typing it up with the few alterations that Kate made and I have to change it a bit as I prefer all the ingredients to be listed in order of use in the recipe.  Just making it a little more reader friendly for myself.  I know....I am becoming a bit particular lately.  LOL

My hubby has requested that I attempt to make this into a version of cinnamon bread.  Hopefully I will have time to do that soon!


Millet & Quinoa Bread

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
3/4 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum 
3 tablespooons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3 eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses
4 tablespoons butter, melted

1 1/2 cups heated water (120 degrees)

1 tablespoon active dry yeast (1 packet)
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Make sure all dry ingredients and eggs are at room temperature!

2. Grease the bottom of your pan.  I have made this in a loaf pan and I also made rolls in cupcake/muffin tins.

3. Heat Oven to 200 degrees and then turn off.  (I place my dough in the oven to rise and this slightly heating of the oven gives a nice warm environment for the dough to rise nicely)

4. In the bowl of your stand mixer (using the paddle), sift together the dry ingredients.  

5. In a seperate bowl, mix eggs, molasses, vinegar, and melted butter together.

6. Heat your water (120 degrees) for proofing the yeast. 

7. In a small prep bowl, stir together active dry yeast, agave nectar, and sugar.  Add 1/4cup of the heated water to the yeast mixture.  Let the yeast sit for 10 minutes.  It should be foamy and active.  If not, start over with another packet of yeast.  Once your yeast is ready.....

8. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, then add the yeast mixture.  Then slowly add your remaining (water which should still be warm) to achieve the right consistency in your batter.  The dough should be like a very stiff cake batter.

9. Beat dough on high for about 15 minutes in the stand mixer.  If you accidentally add too much water simply add a little sorghum flour until you achieve the dough consistency you are after.

10. Put the dough in your prepared pan and place in oven to rise for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  Once the dough has risen to the top of the pan, bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment