Read to your child every day!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fire Safety Week - Days 1 and 2

This week is national Fire Safety week and I am excited to be pulling out my Sesame Street Fire Safety curriculum.  This curriculum is available free through the U.S. Fire Administration for schools and fire departments.  For more information follow this link: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/teachers/sesame.shtm

I used my cricut and Sesame Street and Friends cartridge to create some fun puppets to go along with the stories in the curriculum.  The book does include some pages to photo copy and color as well.  I just got word that the CD is on its way to me....next year for fire safety we will be upgrading to a cd (no more waiting while Sara finds the right song and story on the cassette tape. ;) )
 

DAY 1 - HOT THINGS BURN

We played a fun game with post it notes and bingo markers (red and blue).  I put a post it note on items around the house and my little seedling used the red bingo marker if it was hot (not safe) and blue if it was cold (safe to touch).




We also threw together this fire truck out of a cardboard box that has been sitting in my breezeway just waiting for the perfect project.  This was a big hit!  We have a jump rope for a water hose too.



DAY 2 - MATCHES AND LIGHTERS ARE FOR GROWN-UPS

We read a story about Big Bird and learned to find an adult if we ever see matches or lighters.
DON'T TOUCH ~ FIND A GROWN UP

Here are my fake matchboxes I made that were placed around the room for my seedlings to find and practice calling a grown up for help.  Just a simple piece of card stock cut and folded in 3's and some wooden sticks I had that I trimmed and colored with the red bingo marker.

Then we painted FIRE!  Finger painting with red and yellow. 

More fun planned for the rest of Fire Safety week so come back soon to check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment